To my dearest:
Have you seen the Louis Vuitton Eye Trunk iPhone Case when it was being carried in the Spring 17 runway? Or have you seen it all plastered over social media and other blogs this past month? It was first spotted on the runway in early October and it released early March. This fashion item has been making a lot of buzz since its preview. It’s been a month after the release and what are everyone’s thoughts on it now?
PHOTO: DOMINIQUE CHARRIAU/WIREIMAGE.
On the Louis Vuitton US website, the description for the item is as follows:
“The Eye-Trunk for iPhone 7 in Monogram canvas seen at Louis Vuitton Fashion Show pays a tribute to the House origins as a trunk designer. More than a protective cover, this new Nicolas Ghesquière statement establishes itself as the ultimate fashionable accessory of the season.”
And heck they’re right about it being the ultimate fashionable accessory of the season. When it first previewed on the runway, many blogs and refinery29 alike, made such bold statements about the piece. A post on refinery29 states, “For spring ’17, though, the clear standout is slightly different: The It bag isn’t even a bag — it’s a phone case.”
The design is based off Ghesquière’s Petite Malle. Price ranges from about $1000 USD to $5000 USD depending on what style you get. There’s also a Supreme Collaboration one releasing soon! You can view pictures from Hypebeast!
For cheaper and iconic monogram ones, it will set you at $1180 USD for an iPhone 7 case and $1250 for an iPhone 7+ one. It’s pretty special, because this is a limited edition piece and you have to “call for availability”. This makes it an exclusive collectible for LV collectors! I personally have been eyeing it for a while. I love the monogram and reverse monogram one and would love to get one for my iPhone, but I have so many concerns over it.
- ONE. I do find it a bit tacky. However, I also love the trunk aspect of it and there’s just some strange appeal to it. I can’t seem to stop myself from thinking about it.
- TWO. As an Asian girl, I do have many concerns about being viewed as being “hypebeast” or just flaunting wealth. Or worse yet, god forbid, I’m flaunting around a replica. Sad to admit, but being an Asian girl, there are certain stereotypes that are hard to get around. In this case, LV’s are such a big “replicated brand” for China. It’s sad really.
- THREE. Truthfully speaking, the case will not be an investment piece. You typically change your iPhone every two years. Or at most, say four years. So its usable life would be two to four years max. But an LV collector might be able to justify it as a collection piece.
- FOUR. Let’s face it. It costs more than the phone itself. That’s something to really think about right?
- FIVE. How many of you are clumsy like me? I have insurance on my phone because I misplace my phone, lose my phone, or break my phone! Can you imagine losing your phone along with the case? That’s a major heart attack right there! I’m not sure I’ll be able to withstand it. Will you? Besides, this makes you major target for theft or robbery! Last thing I want is to get jumped in the city!
Aside from concerns, I find this piece does have reasons why it’s a must have.
MUST HAVE REASONS:
- ONE. It’s a runway piece. Only sales will ever tell you a runway piece can live through the seasons. This piece will be your little luxury and collectible! This reasoning throws practicality all out the window.
- TWO. It does quite well to protect your phone case. It’s like a brick wall protecting it! So for it’s purpose, you know it’ll do its job! Check out a drop test by EverythingApplePro here. You’ll be amazed at how well this holds up!
- THREE. You will feel like a boss or even a king. Honestly, whatever you’re doing on your phone will feel substantial. It’s like you can even send out orders for world domination! Ok. Basically, major feel good vibes from using this case.
Well that’s just my two cents on this piece. I’ve been lurking the Purseforum to see what others think of this piece. And I found many others who have similar concerns, but also some that have taken the plunge and enjoy their piece so much! My heart is still going all out to this piece. Be still my heart! I’m having second thoughts! What about you? Do you find this piece crazy or genius? Write back and let me know your thoughts! I’d love to know!
Thanks for stopping by!
Latest posts by Sincerely Ophelia (see all)
image credit: DOMINIQUE CHARRIAU/WIREIMAGE.| Louis Vuitton US | Hypebeast