To my dearest:
Have you seen the Louis Vuitton Eye Trunk iPhone Case when it was being carried in the Spring 17 runway? Or have you seen it all plastered over social media and other blogs this past month? It was first spotted on the runway in early October and it released early March. This fashion item has been making a lot of buzz since its preview. It’s been a month after the release and what are everyone’s thoughts on it now?
On the Louis Vuitton US website, the description for the item is as follows:
“The Eye-Trunk for iPhone 7 in Monogram canvas seen at Louis Vuitton Fashion Show pays a tribute to the House origins as a trunk designer. More than a protective cover, this new Nicolas Ghesquière statement establishes itself as the ultimate fashionable accessory of the season.”
And heck they’re right about it being the ultimate fashionable accessory of the season. When it first previewed on the runway, many blogs and refinery29 alike, made such bold statements about the piece. A post on refinery29 states, “For spring ’17, though, the clear standout is slightly different: The It bag isn’t even a bag — it’s a phone case.”
The design is based off Ghesquière’s Petite Malle. Price ranges from about $1000 USD to $5000 USD depending on what style you get. There’s also a Supreme Collaboration one releasing soon! You can view pictures from Hypebeast!
For cheaper and iconic monogram ones, it will set you at $1180 USD for an iPhone 7 case and $1250 for an iPhone 7+ one. It’s pretty special, because this is a limited edition piece and you have to “call for availability”. This makes it an exclusive collectible for LV collectors! I personally have been eyeing it for a while. I love the monogram and reverse monogram one and would love to get one for my iPhone, but I have so many concerns over it.
- ONE. I do find it a bit tacky. However, I also love the trunk aspect of it and there’s just some strange appeal to it. I can’t seem to stop myself from thinking about it.
- TWO. As an Asian girl, I do have many concerns about being viewed as being “hypebeast” or just flaunting wealth. Or worse yet, god forbid, I’m flaunting around a replica. Sad to admit, but being an Asian girl, there are certain stereotypes that are hard to get around. In this case, LV’s are such a big “replicated brand” for China. It’s sad really.
- THREE. Truthfully speaking, the case will not be an investment piece. You typically change your iPhone every two years. Or at most, say four years. So its usable life would be two to four years max. But an LV collector might be able to justify it as a collection piece.
- FOUR. Let’s face it. It costs more than the phone itself. That’s something to really think about right?
- FIVE. How many of you are clumsy like me? I have insurance on my phone because I misplace my phone, lose my phone, or break my phone! Can you imagine losing your phone along with the case? That’s a major heart attack right there! I’m not sure I’ll be able to withstand it. Will you? Besides, this makes you major target for theft or robbery! Last thing I want is to get jumped in the city!
Aside from concerns, I find this piece does have reasons why it’s a must have.
MUST HAVE REASONS:
- ONE. It’s a runway piece. Only sales will ever tell you a runway piece can live through the seasons. This piece will be your little luxury and collectible! This reasoning throws practicality all out the window.
- TWO. It does quite well to protect your phone case. It’s like a brick wall protecting it! So for it’s purpose, you know it’ll do its job! Check out a drop test by EverythingApplePro here. You’ll be amazed at how well this holds up!
- THREE. You will feel like a boss or even a king. Honestly, whatever you’re doing on your phone will feel substantial. It’s like you can even send out orders for world domination! Ok. Basically, major feel good vibes from using this case.
Well that’s just my two cents on this piece. I’ve been lurking the Purseforum to see what others think of this piece. And I found many others who have similar concerns, but also some that have taken the plunge and enjoy their piece so much! My heart is still going all out to this piece. Be still my heart! I’m having second thoughts! What about you? Do you find this piece crazy or genius? Write back and let me know your thoughts! I’d love to know!
Thanks for stopping by!
- Glamping at Eastwind NY - March 11, 2021
- Effortless Cozy Home Decor Revamp for 2021! - December 23, 2020
- Make a Girl Swoon This Valentines for Under $50! - February 12, 2019
WOWZA! So gorgeous!
isn’t it? 🙂 thanks for dropping by!
Seems like something I would borrow from Rent the Runway instead of have with me every day. Sort of like those Moschino McDonald’s pieces from a few years back. Fun…but totally impractical!
Yes! I know those Moschino McDonald pieces! But this one seems more luxe than that. I wonder if they’ll have this on RTR. It’s a good idea though to do it through that means.
Loveee the theme! Ordering mine right now 🙂
I’m happy you like it. Phil will be happy too! 🙂 enjoy!
Wow, this piece looks really interesting (and a little crazy 🙂 )I never knew that LV makes iPhone cases.
Yes! This is a nice selection!
They are really cute and I love the red, but yes wowsers the price! I don’t think I could spend the money on a case. I’d rather spend it on clothes!
Yeah. It is wowsers on the price!
WOW! These piece are really gorgeous. This will make my phone stand out from the crowd. I never knew LV did phone cases. Love the red one the most though! Best Colour!
Haha yes the red is quite unique and a crossover with supreme!
That is actually a really interesting piece. I agree with some of your concerns, LV in general is crazy expensive and I don’t know how I would feel buying a phone case more expensive than my phone. But it is definitely a really different piece.
Yes it’s quite the collectible!
I am so in love with this piece! Awesome review!
Thanks! and THANK YOU for dropping by!
Oh these are interesting and really stylish pieces!
When I see a gorgeous piece like that I buy it and regret later. But this really is expensive. Good review!
As someone else mentioned, can always RTR!
This phone case is so cute! I don’t think it’s tacky at all actually, it’s a very classic print 🙂
Yes! and the Petite Malle design is sooo gorg! <3
Holy crap I would never in my life spend that much on a phone case! My husband spent $50 which I thought was too much! It’s just supposed to protect your phone!
-Kirsten // http://www.porkandcookies.com
Yes. That’s one way to think about it. I also think $50 is a lot for a phone case. But I’m guessing for collectors this is a nice piece. Especially since it’s a “Runway piece” haha.
These are actually cute! and they look thick enough to protect the phone when it falls. I might just order myself one.
Yes. It’s so beautiful and what a statement too! I’ve been holding back myself!
I love these cases! Though, not a fan of the Louis Vuitton x Supreme collaboration, tacky in my opinion.
Haha. I wouldn’t go for the collab one myself either.
I love those LV phone cases, they’re super different. However, now that you mentioned that we change our phones every 2 years (for me once a year lol) I don’t think I’ll get one just because of the circumstance.
yeah! someone in a previous comment mentioned RTR. i think that’s worth it if you can get it through there!
I can’t see spending that kinda cash on something I could easily lose or not need anymore. They are kinda tacky, although I can’t stop staring at the red one.
Those are super cute! I would love one for my tablet!
It’s nice but I’m not sure if I’m going to purchase it. I would rather spend the money elsewhere or on a case that would look more simple and not attention grabbing. Although, I can see fashionistas going crazy over these cases.